On October 22, 1868, four Sisters arrived in Baton Rouge. They had been sent to take over an orphanage that cared for 11 little girls left parentless by the Civil War. Within two weeks, they opened St. Joseph’s Day School in a small, four-room house on what today is known as Seventh Street.
150 years later, St. Joseph’s Academy is a national Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, where students are educated to be responsible and unifying members of the world community. Here, relationships are formed, bonds are strengthened and knowledge is shared. Faith and wisdom find a home in each young woman all the days of her life.